Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Working

If you don't know already, I've started working again part-time at Sentara Highlands Home Health. Funny how all that worked out:
1. Mid-September - began orientation at SHHH.
2. Two days later, Andy was asked to work PT for the City of Covington
3. I resigned, sadly....we couldn't do both without leaving the girls with a babysitter, which we are not willing to do.
4. Andy made arrangements to work for Covington...to begin on Monday....
5. I fell out of a tree on Saturday. At 11AM.
6. I required round the clock full time care (not out of the ordinary for me, just more of it :)
7. Andy excused himself from working with Covington
8. I recovered and thereafter endured countless taunts from -AHEM- those who love me about staying out of trees.
9. SHHH called me in December and asked me to please, please, please reconsider.
10. I did.
I think its pretty cool, myself. Because honestly, back in September when I was going through orientation, I was kind of having second thoughts. But in December, I was more than eager and ready to join their team.
I'm classified there as a "Hospice Social Worker."
I've never worked with Hospice, and never had the desire to do so - one way or the other. So, as is my wont, I have been reading about Hospice and end o fife care. Consider - have you ever heard anything - ANYTHING negative about hospice? It is always more along the line of , "I was so thankful for their help. They made a bad situation so much easier to handle. We couldn't have done it without them....they were wonderful."
I'm encouraged. I am interested to see what issues of my own I have to deal with in helping others prepare for the loss of a family member.
Now, I'm very - very part-time. There is a full time social worker with the agency and as I understand, they need my credentials (MSW) to comply with state and federal regulations. Either way, no matter the extent of my involvement, I am looking forward to this new chapter in my life. I wholeheartedly welcome any insights you'd like to share with me about it.

No comments: