Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pickin' Friends

I'm so tired. See, the day started off at 5:15Am with Abba deciding she was mad that she had been cut off from Mama's milk, so she was going to let me have it bright and early. Then Hannah woke with a bad dream that had resulted in her needing a change of sheets. All this before 5:25AM, as Andy was waking up. Needless to say, he grabbed the lunch I packed and scooted out the door without so much as a glance over his shoulder! I can't say I blame him!

So we rolled around in our semi-awake state until the girls decided at 7:45 they wanted to put on their dress up dresses that MeeMaw gave them and move the party outside to the carport. It was only 58 degrees and they lasted about 8 minutes. So, I put them to work until it was time to load up and go berry picking.

We met some friends up at Stonewall, a central location here in Callaghan, and then four vehicles - including 5 mamas and 11 kids trekked over to Rennick, West Virginia. Never heard of Rennick? Its about 40 minutes north of Lewisburg - the northernmost reaches of Greenbrier County. We had a great time - picked for about an hour and a half, and I think all of the kids just about made it that long. We settled our debts with the proprietors and enjoyed a picnic on blankets under the shade trees. It really was a lot of fun. I don't know how many lbs. of berries I got - three heavy WalMart bags, though. Hannah picked a surprising amount! (Although I tacked an extra few bucks onto our bill for the amount that didn't take the detour to the bag....) I'm chugging coffee and Mountain Dew so I can stay up and process them, but first things first, right?
Here's a picture of the kiddos from today....Sabrena took the rest of the pictures (daggone if I didn't forget to charge my camera battery), and she'll post them on Facebook, so I'll post a link here, I guess.
Hannah and Abba just came in here and laughed when they saw the picture, "That was fun, Mama...can I have some blueberries?" "Booberrys!"

No comments: